What is state failure? See my conceptualisation of state failure on the right flank below.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chechens in Southwest Asia...

For the equivalent of slightly more than a single Euro, I managed to lay my hands on this book ("The Village of Widows" by Ravi Shankar Etteth). On its Hungarian edition, to be exact, sold as a paperback at a railway station. And remarkably I came across the following dialogue in it. Quoting, in my translation back to English, from page 38 of the edition I have:
"Thank you for not trying to resist," continued the police chief. "I don't want lose one of my best because of a bunch of idiotic and suicidal Afghans and Chechens..."
I do not remember having heard of specifically Chechen foreign fighters in Kashmir before, but the kind of motives for their mention in places distant from Chechnya, listed by Christian Bleuer in this classic of a post on the subject, seem to be relevant in the Kashmiri context as well. The thing that bothers me is the consistency with which Chechens are mentioned by many. I even heard mention of them by an Afghan friend who was there in Afghanistan very recently. So what to make of this? The question persists. Have actual Chechen Chechens become part of the history of entire "Southwest Asia"*? Or is this only myth?
* Using this deliberately out of place term in my discourse...

No comments: