What is state failure? See my conceptualisation of state failure on the right flank below.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Petraeus in action

I'm here again, again for just a short one, quoting General David Petraeus. He's getting down to action, as expected, and reportedly he is telling things like this to Pakistani counterparts:

"Haqqanis are for us what Baitullahs are for you."


That is only sort of a clear message. Haqqanis are not for the US what the Baitullahs are not for the Pakistani army. Petraeus is trying to address fundamental issues of interests, to start pulling some more interesting-looking strings.

I still find this a somewhat unfortunate statement, even while I understand the motivations behind it. A question jumping to my mind is, and I think this may be logical: Does this imply that the US would/could be ready to give some support to the "Baitullahs" (i.e. the Mehsuds and others in Baitullah Mehsud's ranks) if it wouldn't see enough cooperation from Pakistan against the Haqqanis? Would/could Baitullah Mehsud accept anything like that?

I seriously doubt that, and that's why I think this sort of statement may not be having an awesome effect on Pakistani counterparts.

But Baitullah Mehsud and the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan may be too much trouble for them anyway, and apparently they are wishing for US air strikes against the Mehsuds in their more daring dreams.

No comments: