What is state failure? See my conceptualisation of state failure on the right flank below.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

123 Meme

The Afghan by Frederick Forsyth was a little further away. (Sigh.) So alright, I'll quote the nearest one then. Luckily for you, global readers, this book happens to be not in Hungarian, either. 123 Meme is the name of the game, and below are three sentences from page 123 from Peter Wallensteen's Understanding Conflict Resolution (the 2007 edition) - this book:It's on the reading list of a course I'm teaching, and it was right beside me when... I was tagged by David Betz at Kings of War! And this here is some quick-reaction blogging, as prescribed.

"To a larger degree than is the case in interstate conflicts, the actors will have a longer shared history of conflict and cooperation prior to the war experience. This is one element leading to the perception that internal conflicts are more socially devastating than other conflicts. The lines drawn between people are ideological, economic or social."

So, the rules for those who are tagged here:
I. You have to look up page 123 in the nearest book around you.
II. Look for the fifth sentence.
III. Then post the three sentences that follow that fifth sentence on page 123.
IV. And then tag five people, just like you were tagged!
So, I will tag Josh Foust at Registan, C at Afghanistanica, my fellow Majaristani Péter Wagner at Biztonságpolitika és terrorizmus to get this going in Hungary, too, the Uruzgan Weblog's webmaster, and Bonnie Boyd at the Central Asia blog (for all her blogging of 2007 that I'd like to see continue into 2008).

2 comments:

Joshua Foust said...

Jerk! You totally knew my inefficient reading habits were a liability!

Péter MARTON said...

:)
I guess the guys behind this are taking note not just of message path but reaction time as well. We're being analysed!
But c'mon, you reacted fast.