What is state failure? See my conceptualisation of state failure on the right flank below.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

More on leishmaniasis

MStFB Update
I'd be happy linking here to some more articles on leishmaniasis that I've just come across, but instead I'll just point to this one site: http://www.leishmaniasis.us/Leish.html. From there you can access a lot of material on the subject. I'm very greatful to Ms Clark for pointing it out to me. She was kind enough to comment on my earlier post on the problem with sand flies in Iraq, and I'd like to support her quest for drawing more attention to the subject.
If you go to the URL above, in articles referenced there, you may read of:
- how a U.S. Army transportation company had more than 80 percent of its servicemen infected by leishmaniasis by December, 2003.
- how troops going home infected but with their infection yet undetected have become an issue of concern as people who might potentially spread the disease via blood transfusions, with many soldiers donating blood regularly (a policy of deferral for donors suspect in this sense, not just for military personnel but for civilian contractors and basically anyone who visited Iraq, too, was introduced in October, 2003 - similarly to the one that was in effect for more than two years [between 1990 to 1993], because of Desert Storm).
- how the area around U.S. military bases is usually protected a lot better against all sorts of threats such as leishmaniasis, by vector control programs, than the rest of Iraq (something that may not be that much help to soldiers who leave the base area regularly, for example on patrols, though having the chance to get a good sleep at nights is of course all the more important for them).
And so on. Just read more there, at the address above, if you care about the issue - I tried my best to show that it is worthy of attention, and I will still get back to it in the future.
For now, I'll just link to one more document I found elsewhere, that provides an estimated breakdown by form of occurrence for the 2 million new cases of infections every year worldwide - VL apparently makes up 25 percent, so again, while it's a minority of cases only, it's a significant minority in fact. The figure regarding Desert Storm-era leishmaniasis cases in the U.S. military, included also in the above cited document, may or may not be more accurate , than the figure (34) cited by Roger Bate here, which I referred to yesterday: so, with the CL/VL breakdown, there were 32 cases, 20 cutaneous, 12 visceral, back then, according to this other source.

No comments: